How Many Hours of Sleep Do We Need?
This is a question has been asked by many throughout the centuries. As human evolved we created artificial light source such as lamp or light bulb. This has interfered with our natural evolutionary instinct to sleep when the sky turns dark. While some may felt that 4 to 6 hours of sleep is sufficient, others requires 8 to 10 hours of sleep to allow them to feel recharged.
So the big question is how many hours of sleep are too much and how many hours of sleep is too little?
Image Credited: National Sleep Foundation
According to National Sleep Foundation, the amounts of sleep that we may require are highly dependent on our age. It is separated into 9 different categories.
The table provided maybe the recommended amount of hours we need to sleep but it is also important that we do not sleep too late and always try to stick to a consistent schedule.
One good way is to “listen” to our body’s signal.
Our circadian rhythm is a natural internal system that is designed to help regulate our feeling of sleepiness and wakefulness. If we follow what our body is trying to tell us in regards to when to sleep and when to wake up. Our circadian rhythm should stay balance, this will help in improving our health and concentration as well.
Tips for Better Sleep
- Exercise Daily for at least 20 minutes.
- Turn of electronics before bed such as silencing your phones.
- Keep your room to be around 25 Degrees Celsius for optimal sleeping temperature
- Evaluate your bedroom to ensure ideal light as light will signal you body to work and not sleep.
- Practice a relaxing regime before sleep such as meditation, avoid video games and movies.
- Beware of beverage or food that contains alcohol or caffeine as they will affect your sleep, keep them out of your diet at least 6 hours before your sleep.
- And lastly stick to a sleeping schedule, even on the weekends.
Sleep well guys and girls